Open as PDF
Portable UV Monitor
(Models: EB612 / UV888)
Thank you for selecting the Oregon Scientic
NOTE Please keep this manual handy as you use your new
product. It contains practical step-by-step instructions, as
well as technical specications and warnings you should
2. UV: measure UV level
3. MODE / SET: toggle display modes, enter settings
4. Strap loophole
5. START / STOP / UP: start, stop and pause timers;
6. CLEAR / DOWN: stop timers; adjust settings
2. Battery compartment
1. UV Index icon
2. UV measurement icon
3. Exposure alarm
4. Low battery icon
5. Exposure timer icon
6. Clock / timer
7. Temperature display
8. Key lock icon
9. Skin type / Sun Protection Factor icons
Wear on the wrist or attach using the strap as shown.
The unit uses a CR2032 battery.
Insert the battery before rst use, matching the polarity
(+ and -):
appears when the battery is low.
The unit powers on automatically after the battery is inserted.
Upon first use, battery change, or reset the monitor
automatically enters setting mode.
To enter settings:
1. Press UP and DOWN to select the desired setting, press
and hold to quickly scroll through the setting values.
2. Press MODE / SET to conrm.
3. The settings order is: 12/24 hr format, hour, minute,
F, skin type, SPF.
Use the table below to help you determine your skin type.
First use the TANS / BURNS columns. If unsure, use the
colour of your skin in an area that does not get exposed
to sunlight to help guide you. Alternatively, eye colour can
also be used as a guideline.
Skin type setting options:
SPF setting options:
The SPF range is between 1-70. Enter an SPF setting
that corresponds to the SPF protection of the sunscreen
product you are using.
To toggle display modes:
Press MODE / SET to toggle display mode between:
• Clock Mode: time, UV level and temperature
• Timer Mode: timer, UV level and temperature
• UV mode: UV index, UV level and UV exposure time /
UV INDEX LEVEL UVI DISPLAY
8-10 Very high
11-25 Extremely high
25+ Over range
To measure UVI:
1. Press UV. The sensor will measure continuously for 4
seconds. Rotate the unit by 360
while the sensor is
reading to provide a more accurate measurement.
2. Unless there is an exposure timer activated skin type
and SPF will be displayed consecutively during this
3. UV index, UV level and exposure timers will be
automatically be updated.
• If no timer is set the display will clear after 30mins.
UV EXPOSURE TIMER
After taking a UV measurement in UV mode the monitor
calculates a recommended maximum exposure time based
on the skin type and SPF set by the user.
• Please set your skin type before using the exposure
timer. If you change the skin type or SPF, the exposure
time will be adjusted automatically.
• The monitor automatically measures the UV level
every 10mins when a timer is set. If the UV index has
increased it will then adjust the timer to take account
of the new levels.
IMPORTANT The calculated exposure time is a suggestion
UV EXPOSURE COUNTDOWN TIMER
To start a UV countdown:
1. After UV exposure time has been calculated press
START / STOP to start the timer.
2. To pause the timer press START / STOP.
3. Press START / STOP again to resume or press CLEAR
to cancel the timer.
4. When the timer has elapsed an alarm will sound.
To silence the alarm:
Press any button.
• Press UV during a countdown to manually force a UV
measurement. The timer will automatically adjust the
• After pausing and restarting the timer, press UV to
ensure the timer remains accurate.
MANUAL COUNTDOWN TIMER
To set countdown timer:
1. In timer mode, press and hold MODE / SET.
2. Use UP and DOWN to select hour and minutes.
3. Press MODE / SET to conrm.
To start manual countdown timer:
1. Press MODE / SET to select timer mode.
2. Press START / STOP To start the timer
3. To pause the timer press START / STOP.
4. Press START / STOP again to resume or press CLEAR
to cancel the timer.
5. When the timer has elapsed an alarm will sound.
and “HH” on
SKIN COLOUR IN
Pale or milky white;
Very light brown,
Light tan, brown
or olive; distinctly
Brown, dark brown
EB612_IM_USA_EN 2006.3.3, 3:11 PM1